Wessex Caving Club Journal Vol. 4 no. 60 pp 68-69

Caving in Norway

The Norwegian farmer's boy seemed very pleased with his reward of a bar of chocolate for showing us the entrance of Fisktjqrngrotten, and set off downhill through the trees back to his farm. Dick Kirkland and I turned and entered the cave.

Fisktjqrngrotten is set in a cliff, has four entrances and is just over 200 ft. long.

A roomy passage with a sandy floor leads down from the most northerly entrance to a fine chamber 30ft square and about 25 ft high, the floor of which is covered with angular boulders. This first chamber has two entrances in the cliff side and when we entered, the sun was shining through one of these, completely illuminating it. Ducking under a rock arch we entered the second chamber, which is slightly smaller than the previous one. This, too, has an uneven rocky floor and an entrance, (which is rather smaller than the others), from the cliff side.

It is quite a pleasant little cave, but we were rather disappointed, as we had hoped it would lead further into the hillside. Suddenly, Dick spotted a meandering passage in the roof in one corner of the second chamber. First, he tried to chimney up to it, but the walls were too far apart, so he induced me to go and give him a shoulder up.

Unfortunately the rock wall is rather shattered and I stood under a shower of small stones, until Dick finally peeled off from about ten feet up. When he had finished saying all he wanted to say on the treachery of shattered rock and the discomfort of landing on angular boulders, I suggested it would be quite easy to reach the roof, if we used a tree as a maypole.

We set off for camp and returned an hour later with an axe. We decided the best way to get a tree into the cave was through one of the entrances into the second chamber, and then carry it under the arch into the second chamber. Five or ten minutes energetic chopping brought a fine straight birch to the ground, and after trimming off the branches and the top, we set about the problem of getting it underground. The first part was easy - a quick caber toss and the tree went flying through the entrance into the first chamber. Then our troubles began - the next ten minutes were spent stumbling over boulders, whilst we negotiated the tree into the second chamber. Getting it upright took even longer and was more difficult as the tree was very heavy. On one occasion we both fell and dropped the thing, and another time Dick let go, leaving me to do a stumbling waltz round the chamber with the tree until he picked himself up and came to help me.

Finally we got the tree in place and I shinned up it, traversed along a ledge and reached the passage in the roof. I found that the "passage" was nothing more than a small pocket between the wall and the roof. If anyone wants to see this "passage" they are perfectly welcome to use our tree - we didn't bother to bring it out.


> Index to published Norway expo articles
> Back to CUCC top page